I actually made these hearts a couple of years ago, inspired by an episode of Kirsty Allsops handmade Christmas programmes. I got a bit carried away with making lots of hearts but never actually got around to doing anything with them until now. In the half term holiday I had a look through my wips and decided that I was going to try to steadily work my way through them, so many of them being so near completion. So, I set about sewing loops onto the hearts and then sliding them onto a length of ribbon and sewing them in to place to stop them slipping. It literally took me about an hour, I’ve no idea really why I didn’t get around to it before 🙄 But as with all wips that stay wips for a while, other crafty makes just seem to come to the forefront.
Anyway, here is the finished bunting 😀
Here is how I made the hearts:
1. Draw around a heart shape twice on the reverse of the material and cut out.
2. Draw around the same heart on bondaweb and cut out.
3. Iron the bondaweb onto the reverse of one of the hearts and remove the backing.
4 Pin the hearts with reverse sides touching ( if you want to sew any buttons or embellishments on do it before pinning)
5. Using embroidery thread sew a running stitch around the heart, leaving a small hole for the stuffing. Don’t tie the thread off and leave enough for a couple more stitches.
6. Stuff the heart and finish the running stitch. Not on the back of the heart or if possible hide the knot inside the heart.
7. Iron around the edges of the heart to seal the bondaweb to the second heart.
Im really pleased with how the bunting turned out and although it hasn’t been hung up yet is almost certainly going to be an addition to my craft room. I’ve still got lots of 3D hearts left and even more cut out ready to make so there may be more bunting to come soon.